by Laura Carstens, Planning Services Manager for the City of Dubuque
Chaplain Schmitt Island, located on the Mississippi River in the City of Dubuque, IA, was carved from a channel backwater in the 1930s to allow river access for an industrial district. The island began life as an airport during WWII and was then used as a landfill through the 1970s. Beginning in the 1980s, it became the city’s catch-all for a great variety of uses and activities, including recreation, gaming, and remembrance.
Today, Chaplain Schmitt Island is home to commercial and recreational uses, including a casino, restaurants, hotel, marina, excursion boat, sports complex, ice center, and parks. The Island offers opportunities for biking, hiking, picnicking, camping, boating, and fishing. It is also home to several veterans’ memorials.
To read this and other featured articles in their entirety, pickup the April 2018 issue of Julien’s Journal magazine. Click to subscribe for convenient delivery by mail, or call (563) 557-1914. Single issues are also available in print at area newsstands and digitally via the Issuu platform.