2-1-1 is an easy to remember three-digit telephone number for individuals and families in need of health and human service information and referrals.
Effective July 1, 2016, United Way of Dubuque Area Tri-States contracted with United Way 2-1-1, headquartered in Cedar Rapids/Hiawatha, to provide 2-1-1 services for individuals in Dubuque, Delaware, and Jackson Counties. Persons may reach the helpline by calling 2-1-1, (319) 739-4211, or (866) 469-2211. Because some smaller cell phone carriers do not yet recognize 2-1-1, all three numbers are provided.
2-1-1 works a bit like 9-1-1. The 2-1-1 center’s referral specialists question callers, access databases of resources available from private and public health and human service agencies, match the callers’ needs to available resources, and link or refer them directly to an agency or organization that can help.
Types of Referrals Offered by 2-1-1 include:
- Basic Human Needs Resources – including food and clothing banks, shelters, rent assistance, and utility assistance.
- Physical and Mental Health Resources – including health insurance programs, Medicaid and Medicare, maternal health resources, health insurance programs for children, medical information lines, crisis intervention services, support groups, counseling, and drug and alcohol intervention and rehabilitation.
- Work Support – including financial assistance, job training, transportation assistance, and education programs.
- Support for Older Americans and Persons with Disabilities– including adult day care, community meals, respite care, home health care, transportation, and homemaker services.
- Children, Youth, and Family Support– including child care, after school programs, educational programs for low-income families, family resource centers, summer camps and recreation programs, mentoring, tutoring, and protective services.
United Way of Dubuque Area Tri-States and call center staff in Cedar Rapids/Hiawatha are currently working with area agencies to update and expand the type of information available from Dubuque, Jackson, and Delaware counties in the 2-1-1 database. Representatives from nonprofits and governmental entities seeking more information can contact Chris Chapin-Tilton, United Way Director of Community Building & Impact by calling (563) 588-1415 or emailing email@example.com.