On Thursday, June 1, members, guests and nonprofit leaders gathered for the annual Women’s Giving Circle Gifts & Grants Celebration at the Dubuque Arboretum & Botanical Gardens. The Women’s Giving Circle, organized through the Community Foundation of Greater Dubuque (CFGD), brings together women from all walks of life to learn about community needs and to build the Circle’s endowment fund. Payouts from this fund provide a sustainable source of grant funding to support local nonprofits serving women and children in our community.
This year, the Circle received 16 proposals and awarded six grants totaling $13,800. Since 2009, nonprofits have received 35 Women’s Giving Circle grants totaling over $63,000.
This year’s Women’s Giving Circle grants were awarded as follows:
- Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Dubuque – Jail & Prison Ministry Program – $5,000
• Dubuque Community YMCA/YWCA Empowering Women – $4,458
• Riverview Center – Inclusivity and Body Mindfulness Yoga, Play, Sand Tray, and EMDR Therapy Supplies – $2,342
• Cedar Valley Friends of the Family: Human Trafficking Survivor Services Packet – $1,000
• Dubuque Red Basket Project – $500
•The Red Basket Project of Jackson County – $500
The Women’s Giving Circle also asked applicants to submit a list of needed supplies along with their proposals. Members selected one-third of the unfunded applicants and fulfilled their gift requests at the event. The following organizations received gifts: Two by Two Character Development; Brown’s Hometown Victory Ford Foundation, Dyersville; and Women’s Health Services of Eastern Iowa.
The Circle, which is organized through the Community Foundation of Greater Dubuque, started in 2006 when a group of women came together to discuss philanthropy and generosity.